Walk for the Waiting is an annual event and money raised goes towards organizations who have a love for these kids. I carried some pamphlets in the car and Ross just started reading it in the backseat to himself. He studied that thing. He knew the statistics. He got it. One day he said - "Mom we need to raise money for the kids." We tossed around different ideas and he settled on baking cookies. When this started my hope was for him to make $100. I knew he'd be thrilled. I also set out to make sure he was most involved b/c this was his plan. So we picked out cookies that he would do.
Pecan Pie Bark was a great hit. We bagged them up. Announced he was ready to sell. He set his price at $10 a bag (but he'd take more) and he started selling.
Then something even more amazing happened. Addison decided she was going to have a lemonade stand and invited Ross to join her with his cookies. Our friend that runs Project Zero got wind of it and helped us advertise, and we even made them their own donation page. It was humbling to see how many people supported our kids.
The crew. Trey and Bella helped too! Mari and Bethany are always great to support the kids .
Robyn was chair of Walk for the Waiting this year and she even came back from some lemonade. Mr. Jerry came by as well and even gave the kids a ride in his car.
While the big kids were busy selling, the little kids were busy playing. (and obviously stamping their legs)
The kids had the idea of challenging Mrs. Christy with Project Zero to beat her in donations. Here I was hoping Ross would make $100 to donate and all of a sudden they were in thousands.
The day of the walk came. Our family was ready.
We checked the donation page at the start of the walk and the kids had done it. They beat Project Zero! In fact they were the 7th top team out of every team.
Obligatory pic of winners with the sad loser.
Mega Excitement!
That night I went to tuck Ross into bed and he was drawing on the iPad. It was the Walk for the Waiting emblem. I pray for his heart that it never loses its sweetness and love for people, and Jesus.
The following day they were invited to speak at church about what they did and the reason. I am beyond proud of these kids. I told Addison's mom if by chance those 2 ever get together there is no telling how many kids they will end up adopting. :)





No comments:
Post a Comment